Course Code: PMGI0115C
Course Title: Techniques and Practices of Project Management
Today, almost everyone in all professions is expected to report on results and get the job done satisfactorily, within budget and on time. That is a component of the art and science of Project Management!
The Techniques and Practices of Project Management (TPPM) is a comprehensive seven-week course (38 hours) which will introduce you to various project management tools, techniques and some best practices within the industry. You will be exposed to various theories and based on the interactive nature of the programme; you will also get hands-on experience through various in-class practice exercises.
This Course will also equip you with skills required to immediately start setting priorities; controlling your budget and reporting on project results. It will help you to better define and understand Project Management; Project Lifecycles and Stakeholders; Project Process Groups and Initiating a Project; Project Planning and how these are applied in the real-world. In this course, you will also be exposed to other critical areas such as Risk Management, Quality Management and Procurement Management. You will also get hands-on experience in the use of Microsoft Project software.
What You Will Receive & Gain
- PMGI’s Training Manual/ Participant Guide for TPPM with over 200 pages
- Participant Kit which includes case studies, templates, handouts, solutions, etc
- Access to the only Jamaican online Job portal for project management jobs
- A Certificate of Achievement or Attendance
- An internationally recognized certificate from us, PM Global Institute (a Global R.E.P) and approved by PMI.
- 38 Education hours or PDUs with the Project Management Institute (PMI®).
- The 38 Education hours that will be awarded by the PM Global Institute are pre-approved by the Project Management Institute (PMI) for contact hours in fulfillment of education eligibility requirement to sit any PMI exam.
- Access to the Innovation Lab (I-lab)
We have several convenient options:
Tuesdays & Wednesdays 6pm – 9pm for
7 weeks (Course includes MSP workshop)
Saturdays/Sundays 9am – 4pm for 7 weeks (I extra week included for MSP Workshop)
This course is designed for persons who have never completed a formal project management course or have done one more than 3 years ago.
There are no pre-requisites for participants to have prior training in project management.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
1. Understand the project management framework.
2. Understand how to start a new project and manage needs and expectations
3. Understand the processes and steps required to manage successful projects and get great results.
4. How to be a sought after project team member, coordinator or manager.
- You will be able to:
- Identify the characteristics of a project
- Distinguish between projects and operations, and define progressive elaboration.
- Identify key project management concepts and terms
- State variables that can influence project outcomes within the context of an organization.
- Explain the 10 Project Management Knowledge Areas are and how they are integrated with the five (5) Process Groups according to international Project Management standards.
- Develop key management documents and plan components.
Course Content Summary
- Introduction to Project Management
- The Project Management Framework
- Team Selection & Development
- Managing Communications and Stakeholders
- Project Management Planning
- Project Scope Management
- The Work Breakdown Structure
- Project Quality Planning
- Risk Planning
- Risk Response Strategies
- Project Procurement Management
- Project Reporting & Closure
- Microsoft Project
Collaborate with your team or meet with your instructor online in the – i-lab i.e. innovation lab
At the end of the course, participants would have created:
- Project Charter
- Requirements Documentation
- Project Scope Statement
- Work Breakdown Statement
- Activity List
- Communication Plan
- Risk Register
- Risk Response & Management Strategy
- Action Plan to Address Personal Knowledge Gaps
Each participant will receive loads of tools that may be immediately applied on the job.
- Attendance – 5% (students must attend 90% of class including first and final classes)
- In course quizzes – 45%
- Project Plan – Workbook and Oral Presentation 50% (Teams submit a final work)
Requirements to Receive a Certificate
Attend at least 90% of the class and gain an average pass mark of at least 55%.
1. Persons who gain 65% or more will receive a Certificate of Achievement
2. Persons who receive less than 65% but not less than 55 will receive a Certificate of Participation
Cost of Course
Course cost is US$780.00. (Ask about our Group and In-House Discounts)
Cost includes refreshment and lunch as relevant, the main textbook; training manual/participant guide; other course materials; and Microsoft Project training.
Based on the Education Hours achieved upon completion and providing that you have the requisite Project Management work experience, you have the option to pursue the relevant PMI Global Exam and thereafter gain an internationally recognized professional certification.
Should you prefer more training experience in a bid to deepen your knowledge of the discipline, TPPM also prepares you to undertake our three-month certification course, Mastery in Applying Project Management certificate (MAPMc).